Friday, April 4, 2014

It starts tomorrow!!

Only one day until I leave for my big trip abroad! I’m going over the last little details of my To-Do list, but basically I’m ready to go. 

Four months ago I decided to embark on this adventure of a humanitarian project and trekking the Annapurna Circuit. Four months to prepare for the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual demands for a trip like this… I hope I’m ready.  

The physical demands come mostly with trekking the 90 miles from Besi Sahar to Jomsom on the AC.  It will take Bryan and I about 2 weeks.  The trek continues on for another week to Naya Pul, but due to time constraints we are opting to fly out of Jomsom.  The trek starts at about 2,500ft and ends at about 9,000 ft. We’ll reach a max altitude of 17,769 ft as we summit the Thorung La Pass on day 12.  We’ll most likely trek 6-10 miles a day. 

The emotional and mental demands come both during the trek and humanitarian experience.  I’ve never attempted a 2 week long backpacking trip.  I’m not sure if I have what it takes to complete it, but I’m going to give it my best shot and hope for the best.  I like to think that I’m tough, but sometimes (ok, often) I take the easy way out and give up too soon.  I’ve been trying to visualize myself walking every day for 2 weeks and pressing on despite thoughts to turn around and go back.  I think this is my biggest fear… I hope I can conquer it!!

I’ll be serving in a village so remote we have to walk 90 minutes from the road to get to it.  We are helping to renovate a school house and assisting the women of the village with their animal co-op and by giving them basic business tools and practices to turn a profit.  That’s a big goal and we have little time in the village.  I know their life will be far different than mine and even though I’m there to teach them something, I have a feeling they will teach me more.  I hope I’m open to learn from them.

Nepal is a spiritual country.  There are many Buddhist Temples and pray flags. Siddhartha Gautama (Buddha) was born in Lumbini, Nepal 2500 years ago.  I am not Buddhist and I believe strongly in my Christian beliefs, but I feel that there is truth in different religions.  I’m really looking forward to learning more about the Buddhist religion and the people the practice it.  I’m also looking forward to communing with God through nature, service, and prayer.  I believe that we are all children of God, and therefore we are brothers and sisters.  I’m looking forward to understanding the people of Nepal, my brothers and sisters, in a deep spiritual way.

 

Stay tuned… I’ll let you know how everything works out…

 

Love, Kami

4 comments:

  1. So amazing!! I think you've totally got this! What a wonderful experience, I can't wait to hear about it on your blog when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kami! You'll do fabulous! You are an amazing woman and everyone you come in contact with will be able to feel your sweet spirit :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete